Front Page
Whats New
Search the Site!!
For Sale
Guest Book
The Kaisers Cross
Fake Documents.
Which Unit?
Uniforms + Militaria
The Raiders
In the Trenches
Mobile warfare
The Casualties
The Battles
The German Army
The Edelweiss
The "Leiberring"
Leib Regt. Association
Baptism of Fire: 2.J.B.
Carency 1915
Vulkan Pass
Roter-Turm Pass
Salatrucal advance
Wounded: Cumpana
Destruction at
2nd Jäger training
2nd Jäger Training 2
Schneeschuh photo 1
Schneeschuh photo 2
Death Cards Leib Regt
Death Cards 1 + 2 Jäger
Death Cards 3 Jäg Regt
Death Cards Unknown Units
Leib Regt Battles
Leib Regt Badges
Bavarian Army Photos
The Weapons
Photo Corner
The Croix de Guerre
The Men
German DSWA
South Africa: WW1 in Africa
Harry's Africa
Harry's Sideshows...
Stars and Hearts
Freikorps Documents
French Colonial Awards
GSWA History 1914-15
The Boer war
British Groups
Research Links
Assorted maps/Photos
Whats New to end mar
GMIC Newsletters
The EK1

August Zieglwalner

August Zieglwalner was born in Aschaffenburg on the 17.02.1877. After graduating from school he worked for a Pharmacist before serving as a one year volunteer from 1899-1900 with the 2. bayerische Jäger Bataillon in Aschaffenburg. After his military service he studied pharmacy in Würzburg and was working as a Pharmacist when he married Wilhelmine, daughter of Emil Stein. Stein was the owner of the Steinbräu brewery in Alzenau and after the marriage August Zieglwalner changed careers and learnt the trade of Brewer at the Brewery School Michel in Augsburg. By 1914 he had taken ownership and had expanded the Brewery.

At the outbreak of the war he was mobilized to serve at the military clothing depot in Würzburg. Not content to spend the war in a clothing depot he had applied for a posting to the 2nd Jäger Battalion and on the 20.11.1914 he joined the Ersatz Battalion of the 2nd Jäger. He was promoted to Vizefeldwebel d. Reserve on the 08.12.1914 then named “Offizier Stellvertreter” on the 12.12.1914, the day he joined the 3. Komp. of the 2. Bay. Jägerbatl. in the field in Flanders.  

Flanders and the Loretto Heights

At the time the Jäger were in reserve at Lille. On the 28.12.1914 of December the Battalion moved into the line facing the British at Warneton. Due to the waterlogged ground the defensive positions were in a bad condition and during the weeks that followed the men were barely able to stabilize the positions, they did not manage to extend the trenches. Fighting was restricted to exchanges of small arms fire, artillery and the occasional patrol. When the Battalion returned to Lille on the 05.02.1915 they had suffered relatively light casualties, 11 men killed in action and 20 wounded.
August Zieglwalner was promoted to Feldwebel Leutnant on the 01.03.1915.

On the 01.03.1915 the 2.b.J.B. along with the 13th Saxon Jäger Batallion were put at the disposition of the XIV. Armeekorps, elements of which pushed the French off the Loretto Heights on the 03.03.1915.

The left flank of the captured positions came under heavy artillery fire and the German troops were forced to abandon this part of the line. The newly arrived Saxon Jäger occupied them again upon their arrival on the 04.03.1915.

When the 2.b.J.B. arrived on the 05.03.1915 the men knew they would have a very difficult task. Securing damaged trenches against enemy counter attacks was not a task to be envied. Starting from Souchez the progression of the Bavarian Jäger towards the Loretto heights was made under extremely difficult conditions. After leaving the road they had to cross marsh and mud, every step was difficult and in the pitch black night the men stumbled into rain filled shell holes, all the time under heavy shell and infantry fire. The only light was from enemy flares. Every time a flare lit up the sky the men had to freeze. At that stage of the war the men still recoiled in horror when they reached out blindly to steady themselves and found themselves gripping part of a shredded body. Later this would become “normal”. Navigation was difficult as the German and French trenches had been flattened by artillery. Communications trenches no longer existed.  

Upon arrival in the front line they found there was little protection from enemy fire on their flank. Only a sandbag barricade separated them from the enemy. An attack on the afternoon of the 06.03.1915 was beaten back by the 1st Company leaving 80-100 Frenchmen dead in front of their lines. The 1st Company lost 8 dead and 16 wounded in the action.

Above: In the trenches at Loretto, Lt.d.L.II Zieglwalner (left) and Lt. Vogt (right)

On the 07.03.1915 Zieglwalner’s 3rd Company was in the line when another French attack was launched. The enemy almost succeeded in entering the trench, close enough for the Jäger to hear the French commander ordering part of his men to go left, the others were to go right. Lt Vogt ordered the men of the 3rd Company to hold fire until the last moment… the Jäger opened fire to devastating effect, stopping the French in their tracks. In the action the 3rd company suffered 12 dead, 46 wounded and 2 men lost (buried in collapsed dugouts).

Above: 3rd Company 2nd Bavarian Jäger Battalion in the trenches at Loretto

Much time and effort was needed to improve the defenses and the men were soon covered in a thick layer of mud. Movement was often on all fours as the enemy was often only 30-40m away. By the time the Battalion was pulled from the line they had suffered 1 officer killed, 1 wounded, 72 other ranks killed and 193 wounded, 8 Jäger missing, presumed dead. The Battalion was in the line until the 23.03.1915 before returning to Lille.
Above: Zieglwalner and Vogt at Loretto
Above: a French soldier killed in an attack on the 3rd Company positions.

On the 07.04.1915 the Jäger returned to the trenches at Warneton for a second time and was again engaged in positional warfare until the 22.05.1915. Zieglwalner promoted to Leutnant d. Res on the 15.04.1915.

The Tirol and the formation of the "Alpenkorps"

On the 22.05.1915 the Battalion was loaded into trains to embark on a journey to join a newly formed unit. They were to become an integral part of one of the most legendary and elite units of the war.
In the early afternoon of the 25.05.1915 the men debarked at Bruneck in the Pustertal in Austria. Italy had declared war on Austria on the 24.05.1915 and although Germany was not (yet) at war with Italy the newly formed “Deutsche Alpenkorps” was founded partially to reassure the Austrians that Germany would support them, helping them defend the Southern border of the Tirol. To cement the friendship, the Erzherzog Eugen awarded the men of the Alpenkorps the traditional Edelweiss badge to be worn on their headgear.

The 1. bayerische Jäger Regiment under Major Paulus was formed with three Bavarian Jäger Battalions. The 2. b.J.B., the 2. b.R.J.B.(The reserve Battalion of the 2. b.J.B.)  and the 1. b.J.B. .

Due to the difficult terrain the 1st Bavarian Jäger Regiment was spread over 50kms of mountain range, paired up with Austrian Standschützen and Landwehr units.

Hauptman Albert Kroen, (Zieglwalner’s company commander) wrote a letter to the Battalion Commander

Above: The Jäger, newly designated mountain troops, on an early march in the Tirol

“Dear Bauernschmitt!

Here is a report about my experiences, and those of the two detached companies.

Along the route to our sector the locals were overjoyed to see us and we received friendly greetings. In Bozen we were greeted with roses, the men of my company looked like a marching rose garden. The march to Welschnosen in the hot afternoon sun was particularly difficult for the not yet acclimatized troops. We arrived at 10pm. The next morning we were greeted by Exz. Von Scholz, divisional staff at the Karersee Hotel. A friendly greeting was also extended by the Brigade commander Colonel von Schießler. He decided that the machine gun company would stay on the Pordoi Joch, while I would take command of the Fedaja Sector. The defensive line stretches from the northern slope of the Col de Buse (Col di Bousc), past Bambergerhaus up to the highest point of the Belvedere.

Above: A prewar postcard of the Bambergerhaus from Zieglwalner's documents

My troops are positioned as follows:  

-         On both sides of the Bambergerhaus, 2 Platoons of the 3. Komp 2.b.J.B. (Lt. d. Res. Zieglwalner is acting Komp. Führer, he masters his job really well), 2 Machine Guns and the 3. Komp of Landsturmbatl. 39 (Austrian), 2 Russian Machine guns
-          On the Belvedere, 1 Platoon of the 3. Komp 2.b.J.B., a Standschutzen Komp. (austrian) and part of the 1. Komp Landsturmbatl. 39 (Austrian)
-          Forward position on a crest east of Belvedere (Called Bescul on the Marmoladagruppe map) a Fieldgun (Old model), a Stadschützen Komp and 2 Machine Guns
-          A total of 750 men.

Since our arrival we have vastly improved the positions. Our Jäger are very motivated, not only in building defenses but also patrolling in the mountains in close proximity to the enemy. On the 01.06.1915 a Battalion of Italian troops advanced along both sides of the Fedaja Pass valley, towards our position at the Bambergerhaus. They were taken under fire by our field gun on the Bescul. Yesterday at 04:30am enemy artillery fired on our position at the Bambergerhaus, the veranda of the house was hit and 2 men were killed, 5 wounded. One of the dead and 3 of the wounded were from my Company. All day long the enemy artillery fired at unexpected intervals, always aiming for the Bambergerhaus. It was an uncomfortable Sunday.  

Today (07.06.1915) an Italian battery of 4 guns fired 40-50 shells along the length of our positions. Our gun on the Bescul and guns from Pordoi drove them from their positions. We suffered one dead from the Landsturm Komp.

We are doing well, if it was not for the artillery I would say excellently. The Brigade Commander told me he would like to keep me here. What are the plans for the future? Do we stay here or will we be relieved by the Prussian brigade? Does this sector belong to the Bavarian Jäger Brigade now? I would welcome some confirmation about the future of my company. I would request we are not relieved by another company of our battalion. My men have settled in well and should enjoy the fruits of their labor.

What mission does the Battalion have? Now and in the near future. I am really curious.

Please greet the gentlemen of the Battalion for me, and special greetings to you,



The 3. Komp stayed at the Bambergerhaus until the 19.06.1915 when a repositioning of the Regiment saw the Company move to the nearby “Col di Lana”. In September 1915 a member of the 3. Komp in position on the Col di Lana wrote in his diary that the bodies of many Italian soldiers lay in front of the barbed wire. The stench of decay was almost unsupportable and any attempt to move or bury them was targeted by Italian Artillery.    

Although combat losses were relatively low in the Tirol it was in this rugged mountain terrain and its merciless weather conditions that the seed of the legendary German Gebirgsjäger was germinated. Today’s Gebirgsjäger still wear the traditional Edelweiss given to their predecessors by the Archduke.

From the 16. – 23.10.1915 the Regiment returned to the West and was in reserve in the Ardennes. The short time was used for resupply and reconditioning of equipment and on the 24.10.1915 the Alpenkorps was once again on a train, this time Serbia.  

The Serbian Campaign

On the 30.10.1915 the Alpenkorps stood at Bazias on the Donau, ready for the invasion of Serbia. Initially the Jäger were not involved in Combat, they marched behind Gallwitz’s victorious advancing Army.  

On the 01.11.1915 Zieglwalner was once again appointed acting company commander as Hauptman Kroen took over a mixed combat group within the Battalion.

Above: The Jäger cross the Kraljevo River at Morava

On the 10.11.1915 they reached Morava on the Kraljevo River, here their time as followers would end and they would go into combat once again. Marching towards the sounds of the artillery the Alpenkorps was once again ready for mountain warfare, the first combat of the 2.b.J.B. being on the 13.11.1915. A detachment under Hauptman Kroen was to cross from the Ciker Mountain, over the Debelobrko heights and go through the village of Brke towards Beli Km. Enemy dugouts were sighted on the Beli Km and Kroen decided to attack from the North West. Reaching Brke at 13:00 the detachment captured 12 enemy soldiers before coming under long range fire from Sebian infantry. The Jäger machine guns opened fire from the Debelobrko and Zieglwalner’s 3. Komp was ordered to attack from the West. Setting the tone for much of the coming campaign the enemy retreated to the South before the attack could take place.  In most other actions skirmishes ended up with large groups or prisoners or the enemy beating a hasty retreat. What the Serbian campaign lacked in confrontation with the enemy it made up for with harsh weather conditions and exhausting marches in the mountains.  

On the 13.12.1915, while the Regiment was resting in Bacina, waiting for the orders to continue the march towards the Greek border Zieglwalner injured the tendons in his arms. After a short spell in a Field hospital at Stalac he returned to Germany where he was in hospital in Alzenau until the 19.01.1916.

Aschaffenburg - The Ersatz Bataillon

By now a seasoned combat veteran he was kept in Aschaffenburg to train new recruits at the Ersatz Bataillon of the 2. b.J.B. from the 25.01.1916. At the Ers.Btln. until the end of August 1916 he did not take part in the battle of Verdun, but he did play an important part in preparing recruits who would fill out the depleted ranks after the battalion’s heavy losses at Verdun.

After the heavy fighting at Verdun the Regiments of the Alpenkorps rotated into a quieter zone in the Argonne to reequip and absorb replacements. Zieglwalner travelled with his new recruits to join the Battalion. On the 01.09.1916 he was designated acting commander of the 2. Komp.

Romania - The "Vulkanpaß"

On the 27.08.1916 Romania had entered the war on the side of the Allies. It’s declaration of war against Austria was followed by a German declaration of war against Romania on the 28.08.1916. The Romanians wanted to use the opportunity to take Transylvania from Hungary as 3 000 000 Romanians lived in the contested area. For the allies the major advantage of Romania’s entry into the war was the potential to cut German access to desperately needed oil supplies and the railway connection to Turkey.

Following the declaration of war, the Romanians immediately invaded through the Carpathian Mountains. They falsely assumed the Germans would be too tied up on the Somme and in the end phases of the Verdun Battle to provide much assistance to the Austrians. This was a Fatal Error. Under the command of General der Infanterie Erich von Falkenhayn the newly formed 9. Armee marched into battle. The “Battle of Transylvania (Siebenbürgen).” had begun. After some initial successes the Romanians rapidly lost momentum. It seems to have escaped them that an army without functioning logistics is not able to advance. As their advance bogged down von Falkenhayn prepared his counter attack.  

Above: the entrance to the Vulkanpaß

The Alpenkorps joined operations in the Siebenbürgen on the 13.09.1916.   

On the 22.09-1916 elements of the 2. b.J.B. would take part in an attack to clear the enemy off the crests along the Vulkanpass. Along with the 1. b.J.B. and the II. Batl. of the Prussian Infanterie Regiment 187 they would succeed in taking their objectives, holding them, then abandoning them without a fight when the Romanians gained ground in a neighboring sector.  

The following account was written by a member of the II./I.R. 187 who took part in the attack, the experiences of the men mirrored that of the Bavarian Jäger.  

The 21st of September began with wonderful sunshine which encouraged hopes for the best. The unit had a number of full day marches behind it and now lay awake and rested on straw mattresses in the town of Liyazeny. The morning passed with cleaning and repair of equipment, the afternoon dedicated to rest. A vacation mood reigned and the men tried to enjoy every moment. At 16:00 there would be rations and coffee. Just as the last man was issued his rations a messenger came with the news all soldiers dreaded. We were to assemble on the pavement ready to march out. As usual the moaners began to moan, but everyone rapidly packed their gear and prepared to depart. Rumors were abounding, as always, and orders to assemble with assault packs always send a ripple of tension through the ranks.

Our Battalion, along with the F.M.G. Zug 318 (Machine Gunners) was to join the “Gruppe Paulus” for an attack on the Vulkanpaß. As soon as the four company commanders had reported the Captain gave orders for the Battalion to march along the road from Livazeny to Zsilyvajdejvulkan. The pace was fast. To the left of the road the mountains reached to the skies, the dominating crest of the mountain at the Vulkanpaß still occupied by the enemy. Darkness was descending when we turned sharply to the left, leaving the road and marching through meadows and fields headed towards the forest.

A first halt was made at the edge of the forest. Darkness had fallen, not a star was to be seen in the heavens. The trees towered above us giving the impression of an impassable wall. Having carried out two hours of rapid uphill marching the men already felt the strain. The halt lasted 20 minutes and the men began to feel the cold, they were happy to get moving again.

  The Battalion advanced in single file. Within minutes the forest swallowed up the last man. The dampness and smell of rotting foliage was unpleasant. In the darkness it was impossible to see your hand in front of your face. The men held onto the bayonet sheath or bayonet knot of the man in front of them to avoid losing contact. There were no paths. The men were clambering up overgrown ravines, ground which no human foot had touched for centuries, and even then, only by day. It took incredible effort to advance. Calls like “Here! … Where are you?! … Where are you going? … Not so fast! “ along with other calls mixed with “soldier like” curses rang through the forest. The last reserves of strength were called for, all bodies shivering from the effort. The lungs bursting, stomach muscles aching as men tried to get a solid grip on the rocks and earth. From minute to minute the progression became more difficult. The calls died down and only panting was to be heard. Here a huge tree lays across the path, its rotting wood disintegrating when you try to climb over it, there vines that grab your legs and trip you up, then a stone that breaks free when you grip it and sends you falling to the ground, invariably landing on a log or rock.

  Just before one in the morning we reach the assembly area on the top of Height 1159, the command post of the Alpenkorps’ Reserve Jäger Bataillon Nr. 10. The men fall to the ground, limbs aching, longing for some relief. They are drenched in sweat, lying on the cold damp ground when the rain begins. It was pitch-dark, nothing could be seen, one could only hear the “thump, thump,” as the men collapsed to the ground. It had required almost superhuman efforts from the men to get this far, six and a half hours after leaving their quarters at Livazeny.

Wrapped in coats and Zeltbahn (Shelter Half) the troops try to get some sleep, woken again and again by the cold. At 03:00 am it is so cold that some of the men try to light a fire, at first a small one, then a bigger one. As it grows it casts the shadows of the men gathering around to warm their hands. Their expressions are earnest, but not exhausted, waiting for the coming day. They are men who know what was ahead of them, all had been under fire and know their duty. At 04:00am there is movement, someone must have said something about moving out. A moment later came the order. The soaked Zeltbahns and coats were rolled up and attached to the packs. The order to move out in single file came and the battalion advanced, this time along the treeless slopes. The folly was seen at 05:45 when dawn approached. The men were marching along a path 100m below the crest. A cold wind howled across the heights and shook the men awake. The unpleasantness of the night was forgotten as the men were confronted with the new day. Every hour there was a short break in which the men could admire the wonders of nature around them. The troops were at an almost dizzying height.  

Below in the pass the road from Livazeny to Vulkan appeared as a thin grey line bordered by the forest covered ravines which had been crossed during the night. The palette of colors is beautiful. The dark blue sky and the yellow Pusta (?) in the distance. In front of us the sun lights the mountainous areas taken from the enemy between the 14th and 22nd of Sept. Below the dark green of the pine forests, the lighter green of the beech trees and the weathered green and black of the rock and cliffs. The beauty of the morning has its effect and soon the men are chatting, jokes being exchanged. The men regain their energy and spirit. At 10:00am there is a halt under an overhanging peak. During the break the orders for the attack arrive.  

The heights around the Vulkan pass were to be cleared of enemy soldiers. The II./I.R. 187 was to help the 2. and 3. Komp. of the bayr. Jäger Bataillon 1. to attack heights 1692-1691 in the direction of the enemy positions stretching from heights 1692-1693. The companies of the 2. bayr. Jäger Bataillon would attack on their flank.  

Soon after the German and Austrian mountain batteries began their bombardment. During this time more detailed orders were given. The basic goal was to clear the heights on both sides of the Vulcan Pass. After the briefing and orders the Battalion commander and other officers took up positions to observe the artillery fire, waiting for the right moment to attack. Some of the soldiers ate their remaining rations while some of the more worrying kind questioned if that was sensible in view of a possible stomach wound. Others passed the time telling jokes to avoid slipping into the doldrums. What is the point of worrying? Take it as it comes, there is always time to complain afterwards if it all goes wrong. At the moment there is no reason to hang our heads. The sun is shining, we are in good shape, good spirits. The bad will come soon enough. When you are with positive comrades the mood is lifted and the time passes pleasantly. Finally, the order comes for the attack. A final shiver goes through the body, the rifles firmly gripped in our hands, with a loud “Hurrah!” the 5. Komp. rushes forward.  

The enemy is hypnotized. Bending forward, their eyes open in astonishment, it takes them some moments to realize what is happening. Then heavy rifle fire begins on both sides. The attackers are the better marksmen and our right wing is almost upon the enemy positions. A last “Hurrah!” and we are in among them. Those who escape flee down the steep incline into the valley and forest. A good number of these were shot and lay where they fell. The enemy was chased over the heights; further positions were rolled up as we advanced. The enemy had no leadership anymore and the positions which followed were not so strongly manned. We succeeded in reaching the pass heights 1621 and 1672. When crossing over this last height a strong enemy contingent with two machineguns confronted us. Our artillery support offered no assistance and as the enemy was well dug in the situation rapidly worsened. All along the front we try to push forward, in vain. Wild shooting from both sides, first kneeling, then laying down. The first wounded have left the battlefield and our ranks begin to thin out. More wounded and dead litter the battlefield and heartbreaking screams of pain ring out. Calls for Medics or water mix with the hammering of machine guns.

Above: Hans Luger, a Jäger Machine Gunner would have been killed in the action described below

A German machine gun (2nd Jäger Batl.) is set up on our right flank and tries to return fire but the enemy has seen it already. The gunner sinks to the ground with a cry as a bullet shatters his skull. The bravery of the others is to be marveled, they try and man the machine gun again and again… a number of them lose their lives. A further advance is not an option. The men of various companies lay mixed in the front line. The sun signals its departure and the last rays are hidden by thick clouds. On both sides the hammering of the guns keeps up its tempo, in some respects it increases, a bitter fury, a fanatical, mindless lawnmower of fire. As darkness descends and the heavy rain clouds take their place in the heavens the deafening fire fades away. Only now does one begin to understand, or not understand, the horrors of war. Stunned and confused the men rise from the earth they had clung to for the last few hours. The limbs are heavy, the brains unwilling to think, the experience of the last few hours weighs heavily on the soul. Wherever you look the same pitiful, horrible scenes that shake the strongest of nerves. The badly wounded need to be bandaged and carried to the rear. The Medics cannot do this alone. Only when midnight arrives do the men have time to think of themselves. But now it is time to dig. Using spades, bayonets and hands the men try to dig holes between the rocks. At 02.00am we are shaken by wild fire from the enemy positions, the men hug the ground, rifles in hand, staring towards enemy lines. Soon after the firing stops and we continue to prepare our defenses.

After the fighting on the 22nd September the two days that followed were relatively calm. Sudden artillery fire by both sides kept the situation static. The pause in the fighting allowed the men to rejoin their companies, improve the defensive line and resupply with ammunition and rations. The two companies of the 1. Bayer Jäger Battalion were withdrawn and we, along with our neighbors, filled the void. We joined with the neighboring 2. Bayer. Jäger Bataillon of the Gruppe Bauernschmidt under whose command we now found ourselves.  

Due to losses suffered on the day of the attack and continuing small losses in the two days which followed, the difficulty exacerbated by taking over the positions of the 1. b.J.B. and then the withdrawal of a machine gun platoon, our firepower was relatively depleted. We received reinforcements in the form of three Austrian machineguns, but these proved to be useless in the days that followed. The Battalion’s positions were very isolated, the situation difficult and we could not count on further support. In spite of this the spirits remained high in spite of the knowledge that a counter attack must come soon.  

 At 5:30 am on the 25th of September the enemy Artillery began to pound the German positions. As the fire increased the attached Austrian mountain batteries were unable to counter the enemy artillery. The enemy artillery concentrated their fire on Height 1672 and it could be assumed the main thrust of the attack would take place there. At 08:15am the enemy assault waves advanced in masses towards height 1672 but were beaten back by fire from the 6. Komp. I.R. 187. No sooner had they retreated when a new assault wave began to advance.  

Relief was provided by the 2. B.J.R on the right flank which poured fire into the ranks of the attackers as they headed for the 6. Komp. The combined fire power beat back attack after attack. After a short pause to recover from their bloody losses the weakened enemy tried again and again between 11:00 am and 13:00pm to reach the heights. The losses were horrendous, the assault waves decimated before they could leave their own positions. There was now a five-hour pause before a third attack was launched. The exhausted defenders, out in the open and under enemy artillery fire beat these last assault waves back as well. At 20:00pm the enemy ran out of steam. The assault troops had suffered terrible losses and were apparently refusing to continue. The night was relatively calm with sudden volleys of shots from the enemy positions. The II. Btln. I.R. 187 had a bloody day behind it and had suffered losses of its own.  

Unexpectedly orders reached us from the Gruppe Bauernschmitt that there would be a pullback as soon as the situation allowed it.  

The withdrawal was ordered because of a Romanian advance in a neighboring sector. It was carried out in secrecy and went unnoticed by the enemy. On the following day the Romanians attacked the empty positions after a heavy artillery bombardment. As can be expected the German troops pulled back with dampened spirits, as is natural after abandoning ground that had been gained with such heavy losses.

Above: Awards and Documents belonging to Lt. d.L.II Zieglwalner including the bullet which wounded him in Romania (The Edelweiss did not belong to him)

On the 10.10.1916 Generalmajor Busse commander of the 301 Infanterie Division reviewed the Battalion and awarded 30 Iron Cross 2nd Class to the Jäger. He handed Oberstleutnant Bauernschmitt an Iron Cross 1st Class for Leutnant der Reserve Zieglewalner who was by then in hospital in München. Zieglewalner had been seriously wounded by a bullet in the lung during the attack on the 22.10.1916. He had been rescued by his Batman Johann Schneider. The Iron Cross was forwarded to him in Hospital.
In November 1916 he transferred to a hospital in Aschaffenburg and at the end of December 1916 to a hospital in neighboring Alzenau. He returned to Service but due to his age and seriousness of his wound his time as a Jäger were over. In April 1917 took command of the Bavarian Flieger Bau Komp. 4.

Left: As commander of the Flieger Bau Komp.

At the end of the war he returned to Alzenau to take over the management of his Brewery. In 1925 he drowned when his car tipped into a river after flooding had weakened the riverbank.  

He was awarded

-          Bavarian Militärverdienstorden 4. Klasse 12.06.1915

-          Iron Cross 2nd Class 11.10.1915

-          Austrian Militärverdienstkreuz 3. Klasse 24.02.1916

-          Iron Cross 1st Class 10.10.1916

-          Wound Badge in Black

-          Edelweiss